The Hayward Pro Series sand filter systems offer excellent filtration with low maintenance. Hayward sand filter systems use specially graded sand to help trap particles and debris, providing crystal clear pool water. The filter sand can last 5-10 years between changes giving you a very economical filtration system that is simple to operate.
Check out the troubleshooting suggestions below if you are experiencing any issues similar to the ones described.
Sand Filter Systems – Frequently Asked Questions
Why is there sand at the bottom of my pool?
- The sand you are using could be too small. Sand that is too small can travel through the laterals in the bottom of your filter and back to the pool. The required sand is #20 grade silica sand (.45-.55mm in size). This can be obtained at your local pool store.
- A lateral could be cracked or broken, which will allow the sand back into the pool. A visual inspection will be required to check all laterals.
- The multiport valve may need servicing or replacement. The most common cause of valve damage is from moving the valve handle while the pump is running. Remember to always turn the system off before moving the valve handle to a different position.
- The sand level may be too high in the filter. When the filter is backwashing the water flow can cause the sand to raise high enough and overflow into the standpipe Check the label on the outside of your filter tank for the proper amount of sand.
Why is dirt/sand passing through my sand filter system?
- A lateral could be cracked or broken, the multiport valve may need servicing, or air may be passing through the filter, causing a channeling effect, which permits dirt to get by the filter. Make sure your above ground pools water level is correct and that nothing is impeding the water flow from the skimmer or return line and then bleed the air from the system.
- There may be a broken or cracked lateral located on the manifold of your filter. You will need to inspect these laterals and replace them if necessary.
When do I need to replace my sand?
- On average, sand in a sand filter systems should be replaced every 3-5 years. This may vary depending on the amount of usage the filter gets. The jagged edges of the sand wear down and become smooth as the sand ages. When this happens the sand can no longer trap debris particles and dirt can pass through the sand and back into the pool.
- If the pool is chemically balanced, the system is running the proper length of time and the bather load is normal, but the water will not clear, even using a flocculent or clarifier, then the sand needs changing.
- As the sand ages, it may start to clump and the water flow can form channels in the sand, allowing the debris to pass through. Channeling is often seen when the pump horsepower is too large and wants to move too much water through the filter.
Why is the filter continuing to run at high pressure even after backwashing?
- Make sure you are following the instructions in your Hayward owner’s manual. The sand bed may be clogged with mineral deposits or other material that will not backwash away. Some calcium based chlorines and other alternative sanitizers could cause a build-up in your sand bed. You may need to change the sand.
- Before you change the sand in a sand filter system, try removing approximately 1” of the top layer of sand, and replace with the exact amount of sand removed. This sometimes rids the sand bed of the deposits clogging the filter.
- You may have to clean you filter system with a special filter cleaner, check with your local pool dealer for proper procedures.
- Check to see if there is a closed or partially closed valve on the return piping.
- Your pump may be too small to provide sufficient flow for proper backwashing. Your filter will filter properly, but if your pump does not supply at least 60% of the filter’s designed flow rate, you filter will never backwash completely. Refer to the label on you sand filter systems filter for flow rate requirements. It may be necessary to upgrade the pump or downgrade the filter.
If further assistance is needed, contact Hayward Customer Service at 908-355-7995 for questions and warranty information.
Hayward S180T 18" Sand Filter System 1.5-HP Power-Flo Pump
The Hayward S180T Pro Series sand filter system offers excellent filtration with low maintenance. Hayward sand filters use specially graded sand to help trap particles and debris, providing crystal clear pool water.