Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) is the measure of all the soluble substances dissolved in the pool water including salts, minerals and metals. Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) is usually measured in ppm (parts per million). The TDS level in a non-saltwater pool that is freshly filled would typically be 200-300ppm from the calcium, plus another 100-300ppm from the tap water. This means many non-saltwater pools have a TDS level of 500-700ppm when the pool is filled for the first time. Saltwater above ground pools have higher Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) levels due to some additional additives from the salt. We generally see that saltwater above ground pools start out with a TDS level that is between 700-1000 ppm (as measured beyond salt) if salt was already added to the pool water.
Total Dissolved Solids Testing Kits?
There are several ways to test the Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) level of your above ground pool water. The most accurate method would be to use the Solaxx SafeDip Digital Chemistry Tester.
Operating the Solaxx SafeDip
1. Fill the bottom 1/3 of the sample cup with the water sample. Make sure to collect the water at least 1.5″ from the surface. The other option is to submerse the probes directly into the water sample.
2. Press the ON/OFF button. The most recent measurement will always appear along with the disk icon.
3. Remove the sleeve and attach it to holding area. Immerse the Safedip probe in the water sample. Make sure the probes are completely submersed.
4. Press the START button to begin a new measurement.
5. During the new measurement, the hourglass will blink before all stabilized parameters are achieved.
6. When measurement is finished, a beep will be heard and newest data will be displayed. The data will be saved in the memory until the next measurement. Only the latest measurement is stored and all prior measurements are discarded.
7. In order to view the latest readings at anytime, press the ON/OFF button.
8. If a new measurement is desired, repeat steps 3-6.
9. When finished using the meter, press the ON/OFF button once to turn the device off. If you forget to do so, the meter will turn off automatically after 1 minute.
10. Always rinse the probes with fresh tap water after use. Replace the sleeve in order to keep the probes wet. Failure to keep probes wet will void the warranty.
About The Pool Factory
America’s Above Ground Pool Experts – is the best place to find everything you need to make owning a swimming pool or spa fun and easy, at the best prices today. With a combined 50+ years of experience The Pool Factory employs a highly trained staff of above ground and semi inground pool specialists. The Pool Factory can provide unique solutions for all pool supplies and swimming pool needs.
Pool Check™ TDS is ideally suited for the demanding pool & spa owner who is concerned with proper pool & spa maintenance. When TDS levels in your pool or spa are high, cloudy water, corrosion, and scale can occur.