The following tutorial will provide you with some common tips to help prevent pool steps from floating. In this tutorial we will use the Ocean Blue Grand Entrance Steps as our example. There are a few steps listed in the installation instructions of the Grand Entrance Steps that will prevent the steps from floating.
In order to prevent pool steps from floating, you will need to use 70lbs of sand during the assembly process that will weigh down the steps allowing them to sink to the bottom of the pool and stay there. There are 4 openings where you will pour sand into on the Ocean Blue Grand Entrance Steps.
Follow these Steps:
- Pour 25lbs of sand into the stringer. (Hole 1)
- Pour 25lbs of sand into the side stringer. (Hole 2)
- Sand will be added through the holes located at the top of the stringers. As the stringer fills, tap the sides to settle the sand to the bottom.
- Plug the two fill holes with the two white plugs from the hardware bag.
- Pour 10lbs. of sand in the side ballast. (Hole 3)
- Pour 10lbs. of sand in the back ballast. (Hole 4)
- After you fill them with sand, plug the fill holes using the two white plugs from the hardware bag.
- Once you get the steps fully assembled place them in the water.
- Next you will need to get the air out of the pool step components (this will take several minutes).
- To remove the air, it will be necessary to tilt the step backwards and to the left and right until the air bubbles stop. Once the air bubbles have stopped the step should be sitting firmly on the bottom of the pool. If not, air is still trapped in the components and the step will have to be tilted again.
After you assemble the steps, place them in the pool, and allow them to fill with water, you can then attach them to your deck around your pool. Position the steps close to the pool wall. Rotate the two deck connectors to sit on to the deck and attach using two #10 x 1-1/4″ self-tapping screws in each connector. If you have a concrete deck you will need to purchase the proper fasteners for concrete. Attach the deck connectors to each handrail post.